Title: Maintenance Operative
Location: Retirement Village
Responsible to: Village Manager/Maintenance Supervisor
Responsible for: Maintenance within the Village
This is a summary of the job description
Overall Aim of the Job:
- To carry out the cyclical, preventive and responsive repairs at the Village.
- To have empathy with older people as you will be working regularly with them to continually improve the maintenance service.
- To take responsibility for the maintenance services in the absence of the local or area maintenance supervisor.
- Undertake cyclical maintenance at the village as legislation and ECCT best practice determines – examples of such:
- Testing of fire, warden call, phone and door access systems
- Waste containers - daily rotation
- ‘Walk the Floor’ assessment for any site hazards
- Condition/functional/In situ checks of fire extinguishers, lighting, safety doors.
- Undertake preventive maintenance duties in the residents’ apartments and in the communal areas – examples of such:
- Quarterly inspections in apartments
- Legionella prevention – shower fittings disinfection and descale
- Water circulation temperature checks
- Windows and doors security and function
- Filter cleaning
- Bathroom tiling and flooring condition
- Ensure responsive repair work requests are allocated a job priority, attended to within defined timescales and completed with a high Right First Time rate.
- Management of void properties to ensure water outlets are flushed weekly, correct water flow and return temperatures are present, plus any other general repairs are undertaken as required.
- Take responsibility for the quality of your own work.
- Work with contractors on site to improve own knowledge of systems and to ensure that they are working to risk assessment and where appropriate, method statement.
- Carry out a handy man service to the residents which will involve anything from picture hanging to assembling flat pack furniture.
- Record maintenance repairs and defects on spreadsheet.
- Ad hoc duties as required by your Maintenance Supervisor.
Health and Safety
To ensure that all work is carried out in line with ExtraCare’s Health & Safety Policies, Requirements and COSHH regulations.
To be alert for hazards for self, other staff, residents and visitors and to report such findings immediately.
You will need to have a flexible approach as you will be required to be available for out of hours call outs i.e. evenings, weekends and holiday cover.
To be fully responsible, conversant and compliant with all ExtraCare’s policies and procedures, along with any changes which may be implemented from time to time.
Any other duties that may be required from time to time.
This post is subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS disclosure, two satisfactory references, medical clearance and Home Office right to work clearance.